Would you like to sail a boat that -
- has a lightweight, fibreglass hull that gives high performance sailing
- has racing for all levels, from weekend club racing through to world championships
- is easy enough to sail for husband/wife, parent/child combinations
- has racing and active associations in every state and territory in Australia
- is inexpensive to get started in
- provides excellent training and social activities for State association members?
Well, if this sounds like you - Get A Tasar
Some Background on the Tasar
The Tasar was designed to be sailed by a man and a woman and it delivers exciting performance without using either spinnaker or trapeze. The hull has a fine angle at the bow to reduce wave impact drag with unusually clean and sharp chines aft to ensure very free planing and outstanding stability. The foam cored hull is stiff and light and the advanced hull shape, together with an innovative rig which combines a rotating mast with a fully battened main sail, allows the Tasar to plane upwind with the crew normally hiked. The wide beam and a cockpit designed for comfortable hiking make the Tasar easy, fun and very exciting to sail in winds up to 25 knots.
Length overall: 4.52 metres (14 feet 10 inches)
Waterline length: 4.27 metres (14 feet 0 inches)
Beam: 1.75 metres (5 feet 9 inches)
Weight: Hull, fully rigged without spars, sails or foils: 68 kilograms(150 pounds)
Crew: Two, design crew weight 133 kilograms(300 pounds), minimum crew weight for racing 130 kilograms (287 pounds) (When boats are sailed by crews weighing less than this, ballast is carried to equalize performance.)
Mainsail: 8.36 square metres (90 square feet)
Jib: 3.07 square metres (33 square feet)
Portsmouth Yardstick Handicap: 108
Construction: GRP foam sandwich for the hull, hollow aluminium section for the spars
Designers: Frank Bethwaite, Ian Bruce
The Tasar is constructed to the same specifications by licensed builders in Australia, Canada and the UK. This keeps all boats as similar as possible and ensures a true one design class.